August 17, 2015

Book Review: Ugly Love

ugly love, colleen hoover books, ugly love cover, ugly love review

Title: Ugly Love
Author: Colleen Hoover
Publisher: Atria Books
Publication date: August 5, 2014
Genre: New Adult, Romance, Contemporary




When Tate Collins meets airline pilot Miles Archer, she doesn't think it's love at first sight. They wouldn't even go so far as to consider themselves friends. The only thing Tate and Miles have in common is an undeniable mutual attraction. Once their desires are out in the open, they realize they have the perfect set-up. He doesn't want love, she doesn't have time for love, so that just leaves the sex. Their arrangement could be surprisingly seamless, as long as Tate can stick to the only two rules Miles has for her.

Never ask about the past.
Don't expect a future.

They think they can handle it, but realize almost immediately they can't handle it at all.

Hearts get infiltrated.
Promises get broken.
Rules get shattered.
Love gets ugly.



There are 2 stories that unfold side by side in this book. One told by Tate Collins, and the other by six-years-ago Miles Archer.

Tate Collins is a 20-something student-cum-nurse who comes to live with her pilot brother, Corbin, in San Fransisco. On moving-in day, she bumps into Miles Archer - a drunk, dishevelled guy - who later, ofcourse, turns out to be Corbin's friend and a pilot. Unfortunately, she ends up consoling the crying drunk stranger to sleep.

But everything changes next morning because, behold... a brooding angry Miles is in the house (literally), and they immediately get into a bitter argument.

As days goes, Tate feels herself drawn towards Miles' solitude even though she has no time for a relationship. Neither does Miles. But their attraction is too damn undeniable! *cue fireworks*

On Thanksgiving, Tate and Corbin take a trip to their parents home along with Miles which, by the way, leads to a heated (bathroom) kiss between Tate and Miles.


Later that night, Tate and Miles admit to their mutual lust and agree to an only-sex relationship, as long as Tate agrees to his rules: "Don't ask about my past. And never expect a future."

But no matter how great the sex is, Tate begins to bend the rules - prodding Miles about his life and slowly falling for him - even though she knows she shouldn't. Even though she knows this will only lead to a disaster and perhaps losing him forever!

Six-years-ago Miles POV sheds light on his past. The Miles from the past is troubled but cheerful. Happy, even. He talks about Rachel - his high-school sweetheart. But all is not rainbows and sunshine. Their romance leads to deadly consequences that turns Miles into the person he is today. The man who is broken inside-out; the man who pushes people away; the man who is against love.

What happened, you ask? Read the book, mon friend.



WARNING: This review contains a good dose of cuss words. Also, I personally DO NOT recommend this book if you're under 13.

Alrighty then. So this was my first Colleen Hoover book and I can just say that I am mindfucked? This book was so bloody amazing. I literally finished this book in one sitting right before my exams. Yes, you read that right. I binge read this book instead of studying. Oh what the hell. Judge me all you want!

Seriously though, I loved this book so much it freaking hurts.

[+] Firstly, I loved the dual POV of present-Tate and six-years-ago-Miles. It was really interesting to see two stories of different time-period unfold at the same time. You can actually see the clear distinction between now and then Miles Archer.

[+] But Miles POV was kind of hard to get into because of the writing style. His chapters were written in sort of a poetic rhythmic manner.

I smell her, subtly
She notices anyway.
I tell her she smells good.
She says, "Thank you".

[+] The book is nothing like Friends With Benefits or No Strings Attached or Fifty Shades. Sure, the whole "use-each-other-for-sex" part is similar, but that's about it. Besides, Miles and Tate aren't even friends. I don't even know what to call them. Sex-neighbors? Whatever, there's a much deeper underlying plot which is actually the main theme of the book.


[+] I loved the chemistry between Miles and Tate. It's kind of sweet and awkward but also really intense because fuck knows what they got themselves into. Besides, Miles and Tate are the definition of a complicated relationship. Like, what the hell are we even doing?

[+] But I absolutely HATED how Miles kept using Tate for sex. The worst part, though, is that Tate lets him use her as well. The whole time I kept screaming in my mind, "Geez Tate. Miles doesn't give two shits about your feelings. Control your fucking hormones and tell him NO! "

[+] Six-years-ago Miles is super creepy. Seriously though, imagine a guy who says things like these-


"I'm gonna fall in love with you, Rachel."
"You're gonna fall in love with me, Rachel."
"She's gonna have all my babies."

Whoa, are you fucking kidding me? Good lord, Miles. You're obsessed with her.

[+] Present Miles is a kind of an asshole. Let's consider a guy who not only uses you for sex over and over again but also treats you like shit the whole time. I mean, OKAY. We get it, Miles has a super-tragic past. But c'mon... that doesn't give him the right to act like a total assbutt!


[+] Hurrah to back-stories. I love that almost all the characters in the book have a story of their own. Turns out, all of them are tied together in this big plot picture. You know, inter-connected. HA!

[+] A terrific cast of characters. I'm not a big fan of all the characters in this book, but I definitely love the good-and-bad mix of people. Although my favourite of them all has to be Cap. He's this funny old man who lives in their apartment complex. Seriously, Cap is bae.


"Knock, knock," he says.
I didn't expect his favorite joke to be a knock-knock joke, but I play along. "Who's there?"
"Interrupting cow," he says.
"Interrupt-"
"MOO!" he yells loudly, cutting me off.
I stare at him.
Then I laugh.

[+] Then comes the sex. It's interesting, not-gross and definitely nothing like Fifty Shades (read: minus creepy paraphrases). The sex in Fifty Shades totally grossed me out (which is why I refuse to read the books). But the sex in Ugly Love is pretty intense and emotional. Also, dare I say *cough cough* steamy.

[+] The Rachel-Miles-Tate romance is da bomb. Seriously though, the way CoHo tied up the two stories and the plot twist and the ending and basically, the whole damn book - it's downright brilliant and so so bittersweet. I suppose what touched me the most is that all 3 of them are broken in one or way another. Let's just say, karma was a total bitch!


I can't quite put all my feelings in this post because half the time I was either squealing or got so pissed I tossed my phone on the bed (literally!). But you the drift... MAJOR FEELS!

ALSO, AMAZING NEWS: Ugly Love is going to be made into a film (2016). BOO-YAH!

Nick Bateman will play Miles Archer. He isn't exactly how I imagined Miles to be, but he's *cough cough* super-hot. So that kinda qualifies, yeah?

The teaser trailer came out a few weeks ago.



I'm tad bit disappointed because it looks like Fifty Shades 2.0. Don't get me wrong, this teaser is HOT HOT HOT whew! But I was hoping that we'd get to see Miles "the troubled person" instead of Miles "the hot pilot having hot plane sex".

Whatever, though, I'm freaking dying. *makes incoherent dolphin noises*

P.S I can't wait to see who they cast as Tate, Rachel and the rest.

P.P.S. I want Morgan Freeman as Cap.




[+] All the characters: Miles, Tate, Rachel, Corbin, Cap, Ian

[+] The Tate-Corbin-Rachel intertwined story

[+] The romance, chemistry, passion, intense moments

[+] Plot twist

[+] Fast-read



[+] Miles' POV aka the writing style

[+] Six-years-ago Miles = Super-creepy

[+] Hormonal Tate



"I’m terrified to lose him for good, so I sell myself short and take what I can from him, even though I know I deserve better."

"When life gives you lemons, make sure you know whose eyes you need to squeeze them in."

"He tightens his grip on my neck... and then he kills me. Or he kisses me. I can't tell which, since I'm pretty sure they would feel the same. His lips against mine feel like everything. Like living and dying and being reborn, all at the some time."

"I didn’t fall in love with you. I flew."



By the power vested in me, I hereby give Ugly Love 5 out 5 ugly loving stars. Actually, make that all the damn stars in the universe!



I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes either of the following-

[+] Colleen Hoover

[+] Romance books

[+] Erotica

[+] Dual POVs

[+] Simultaneous past and present narration

Have you read Ugly Love? What were your best/worst moments from the book?

Follow me on: Bloglovin | Twitter | Facebook Page | Instagram | Pinterest | Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...