October 12, 2014

Best Advice I've Been Given



*in Avril Lavigne's voice*
Hey hey, you you, today is my birthday
No way, no way, you know it's not a secret
Hey hey, you you, today is my birthday

Pardon me, I just improvised. What can I say? I love birthdays. It's not everyday that I'll turn 19. I mean, I'm not ready to kiss my teenagers years goodbye already. Hint: This is exactly why I wouldn't make a very good adult. *sigh*

And while we're talking about birthdays, let me tell you something. I could write a bestseller novel off the variety and number of advices I've received over the years. Some of them are very close to my heart. However, one particular advice has always helped me to get through tough times.

"It is okay to be okay"


When my teacher first told me this, I thought it made no sense. I remember him saying how "not being perfect" is actually fine. Or "having it together all the time". He always taught me, "okay" is not bad. Okay is good. Okay means I'm not trying to be something I'm not. Okay means I'm not pretending to someone I'm not. In his words, "okay" meant being comfortable in my own skin. Whatever that is. Or feeling however I felt. Sad, happy, angry, bored. Even flawed.

It was is okay to be okay. And that's all it matters.

xxxxxxxxx

** This post is a part of Blog Everyday in October (#BLOGTOBER14) Challenge hosted by Helene in Between and The Daily Tay.

What is the best advice you've been given?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...