October 06, 2014

10 Things I Wish I Told Myself When I Started Blogging


I set up my first blog when I was 12. It was more like an account of all my poems I had ever written for our school magazine till then (eg: I have cat/ She sleeps on a mat/ She likes to play ball/ And loves to chew my doll...). You get the point. Whatever, I closed it after a year or so. It wasn't until 2 years ago that I started blogging again. But obviously, I quit it this October because everything was all over the place and I wanted to start afresh. Ergo, I come with quite a bit of messed-up blogging history.

But honestly, if I were do it all over again, here's what I'd tell myself...



1. Be Yourself. If you don't like a certain thing, no problem. If you're having a hard time projecting a "too perfect" version of yourself, then don't. Forget it. Do what you're best at. Be yourself. Even if it means being crazy and flawed.

2: Write like you'd talk. Seriously. Enough with the "professional" writer thingy. This is a blog. Not a Letter to the Editor. Go easy. Write like you'd actually talk. Like a human.

3. Be consistent. You don't have to post multiple times a day or even everyday. But atleast be consistent. Don't go from writing 3 posts a week to none and then again bouncing back with 5 posts. Nope. Never. If you gotta write once a week, then write once a week. But be consistent.

4. Socialize. You already talk too much. So do yourself a favour and reach out to the community. Talk to other bloggers. Get active on social media. Interact with them. They don't bite!

5. Write like no one cares. Like literally, write like it's no one's business. This is your blog. At the end of the day, you get to decide what's best and what isn't. If you made the rules, you can break them too.

6. Comment. Comment. Comment. How is anyone supposed to know that you exist if you don't let them know that you exist. Comment on the posts you love. Let them know what you think. Share the love. But don't spam them.

7. Stats aren't everything. Those triple digit page-views won't happen overnight. And it's all right. It's your content that matters. It's the reason that you're giving your readers to keep coming back is what matters. The rest are just numbers. They're important, yes. But they aren't the be all and end all.

8. Blogging ain't easy. It really isn't. It requires a lot of effort, time and dedication. Whoever said it is easy, obviously knows rats about it. There will be bad times and crazy times. There will be times when you'll feel like giving up. But will you?

9. Are you ready to commit? Yes, commit. Commit to the blog. Commit to your writing. Commit to never give up no matter how much it sucks at times. It will take up a lot of your time. It will feel exhausting and overwhelming at times. You'll be thinking about it even when you're not supposed to think about it (read: exam times).

10. Haters gonna hate, potatoes gonna potate. So why bother? There will always be someone too unhappy with who you are and what you're doing. Better ignore them!

xxxxxxxxx

** This post is a part of Blog Everyday in October (#BLOGTOBER14) Challenge hosted by Helene in Between and The Daily Tay.

What would you tell yourself?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...